Sunday 22 March 2015

The struggle with tradition

Ever thought about your wedding day? As we grow up, our vision of the 'most important day of our lives' can change dramatically. Sometimes the divorce of our parents can destroy the illusion of a happy marriage until death,  other times we develop a different opinion on religion and struggle with the moral underpinnings of marriage. For me, however, it is one specific aspect of the wedding ceremony I have always imagined which does not agree with me anymore- 

I don't want to be given away by my father! 

Why? Because I cannot stand the idea of being seen as my father's property, I am not his to 'give away'! And give away to whom? To another man, of course. I, however, know that my mother has had an equal share of responsibility for me since I was born. In fact, many mothers nowadays still take on the lion share of child care, which should show in moments like the above. Why is not acceptable for mothers to 'give away' their child? Can we imagine a future in which both parents lead their daughter down aisle, one left and one right?

Or even better: Noone has to give us away, because we do not belong to anybody but ourselves!

The dicision to get married is in the majority of cases a personal choice made by Western women. It is not an agreement between a father and a future husband anymore and should not be treated as such during the wedding ceremony. 

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment